Can Custody Orders Ever Be Modified?

While the terms of your divorce may seem final, it is important to keep in mind that things inevitably change as life moves on — meaning you may need to modify divorce-related orders later on. In fact, these types of modifications are quite common in New Jersey, although it can be difficult to pursue a court to change a divorce-related order, especially if your ex-spouse is in disagreement.

At The Law Offices of David T. Schlendorf, in Toms River, New Jersey, we have handled post-divorce modification cases for more than a decade. We understand what it requires to secure a modification and will ensure that client petitions are complete. This includes parental relocation and move-aways. Talk with attorney David Schlendorf if you need assistance filing a successful petition for a post-divorce modification.

Toms River Post-Divorce Modifications Of Orders Attorney

The courts may grant changes to custody or support orders when the changes are in the best interests of the children involved. This includes situations where:

  • A parent has lost a job.
  • There is a cost-of-living increase.
  • A child or parent has suffered a medical emergency.
  • A child needs special medical attention or becomes disabled
  • A parent starts to receive additional income.

When asking the court for a post-divorce modification, a lengthy or expensive court evaluation may be necessary. If children are involved, the court may even appoint a guardian ad litem to make sure that the best interests of the children are preserved. Having a lawyer on your side can help make sure that this process runs as efficiently as possible.

Contact Us For An Initial Consultation

Contact lawyer David T. Schlendorf to discuss your family law matter with our firm at a free initial consultation. Call us toll free at 866-895-9668, or reach out to us online.